Catholic Church St. Rupert in Ramsau Kulm

Ramsau am Dachstein

Churches & monasteries

The Kulmkirche is one of the oldest and most important churches of early Christianity in the Enns valley. It is dedicated to St. Rupert. As abbot and first bishop of Salzburg he founded the Benedictine monastery St. Peter and the nunnery at Nonnberg. St. Rupert died around 715 in Salzburg and is buried in Salzburg Cathedral. The patronage of the church refers to a close relationship between Ramsau and Salzburg, which was probably based on the fact that the 1st church in Ramsau, built around the 13th century, was a daughter church of the mother church of Haus im Ennstal. There were close ties between the parish of Haus and the archbishopric of Salzburg. The original church building can be equated with today's nave with Romanesque core, to which the Gothic choir was added on the east side in 1444. At the beginning of the 16th century the people of Ramsau joined the Lutheran doctrine, to which they officially adhered after the tolerance patent of Joseph II in 1781. In 1747 an independent vicarage was established near the Kulmkirche, which became an independent parish in 1859. The Catholic parish of Ramsau-Kulm is one of the few Catholic diaspora parishes in Austria that was for a long time pastorally cared for by Schladming. Since 2002 there is again a pastor living and working in the village. The parish currently has approx. 420 members compared to approx. 2200 Protestant Christians.



Contact

Catholic Church St. Rupert in Ramsau Kulm
Ramsau 41
8972 Ramsau am Dachstein