Evangelische Kirche in Ramsau Ort
Ramsau am Dachstein
The church was built between 1888 and 1895 according to the plans of architect Hans Kieser from Nürnberg.
The church is built in the neo-Romanesque style with a classical cross ground plan. The nave measures 39 m, the transept 24.5 m. The church tower is 42 m high and must be founded on 9 m long wooden pilots in order to achieve the necessary stability on the loose alluvial subsoil. The elaborate foundation of the entire church, which considerably increases the construction costs from the very beginning, is only one of many difficulties that the small Ramsau parish, which at that time was purely a farmer, has to overcome with daring and willingness to make sacrifices.
The stone material for the church building is crushed in the Kramllahn in Ramsau, where it is hewn and transported to the building site in winter by robot work with ox sleds. This stone is known for its hardness and was also used for the Ramsau millstones. Some of the masons and stonemasons are Italians who start their work in spring and leave again in autumn.
The interior of the church is characterized by its galleries, which are entirely made of wood provided free of charge by the farmers. The altar shows the picture of the Crucified (after Rubens), the altar side pictures represent the apostles Johannes and Paulus, the organ is a work of Hopfwieser from Graz. Many parts of the church equipment such as altarpiece, baptismal font, windows and bells are mainly financed by donations. The three large Bochum cast steel bells have to be transported through the Rössinggraben to the Ramsau.
8972 Ramsau am Dachstein